Re: Marking ones tools

To: "Wayne" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Marking ones tools
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 08:31:04 -0500
At 09:09 PM 1/12/02 -0800, Wayne wrote:

>I was wondering what the common wisdom on this was? Should I engrave my DL
>number on the tools? Also, what method is best for recording/cataloging
items.
>Digital photo's, camcorder?

Wayne,

   Over the years I've tried several methods.  I've tried writting stuff down
on paper, then I tried creating a database on my computer.  Both of these
methods are very labor intensive, especially if you have a lot of books,
CDs, Videos, etc.  What I finally ended up doing was video taping everything
in the house.  For book cases, I'd scan them showing the books, then I'd
have my kids pull the books off each shelf and lay them on the floor.  They'd
read the title, author, and publisher.  Same thing with videos and cds.
When I inventoried my tools, I just opened each drawer of the box, counted
the items while taping.  This seemed to be the easiest way I've found.

Then dup. the tape, put a copy in a safety deposit box, or give to a friend
or neighbor, or all of the above.  Now once a year you can skip to the end
of the tape and add the new acquisitions.

I have inscribed my drivers license on several items, but I don't know if
it's worth the hassel.  I'm not going to do that to all my wrenches and
screwdrivers!

If the numbers are easily seen, they can be easily altered or filed off.
One thing I've heard, is to get some lables, and print your return address
and phone # on them.  Then open the case on things like TV, Sterios, etc
and place the lable inside. Most thiefs won't take the time to open items
up, at least that's the theory.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan