Re: bolt shear strength

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bolt shear strength
From: Matt Liggett <mml@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:36:07 -0500
On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:22:48PM -0600, JNiolon@uss.com wrote:
> anyone tell me where I can find a table or something that will tell me the
> shear strength of a 1/2" coarse thread grade 8 bolt ???
>
> I can't seem to find it on the net... but maybe my search for "shear
> strength" isn't the right one..

Basic web searching indicates that these fastener grades are dictated
by the SAE and that the SAE Handbook (I found it for sale online for
$475) would have those specs.  Check local reference libraries, both
community and university.  Unfortunately, my local university
(indiana.edu) doesn't teach engineering, so I could almost guarantee
I'd have to make a roadtrip to purdue.edu look this up in a reference
volume.  That's life in the sticks, I guess.

Anybody on the list got a copy handy?

Also, Carroll Smith warns in his book Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and
Plumbing that there is no certification of most fasteners sold and
that many are weaker than they should be.  That's why he advocates AN
series fasteners.

 -Matt