RE: bolt shear strength

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: bolt shear strength
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:22:39 -0800
After mulling it a bit more (and receiving an off-list reply from Rex), I
think Jay is saying that the threaded portion is not loaded in shear (which
is normally a design requirement, threads should _never_ be loaded in
shear), thus the threads do not affect the shear strength.

The tensile strength of the entire bolt includes the threads and is directly
affected by them.  Coarse threads have a smaller minor diameter, so for the
same material a fine thread bolt has a higher tensile strength.  Perhaps Jay
is saying the shear strength can be estimated as 60% of the shank's tensile
strength.

As I said before, shear strength can only be an estimate, the measured value
depends a good deal on how you measure it.  To see this, just compare a dull
pair of tin snips to a sharp pair.

Randall