Re: I'm not, but Why can't I

To: "PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <harry_phinney@hp.com>
Subject: Re: I'm not, but Why can't I
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:00:16 -0800
On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 09:32:13AM -0800, PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)
wrote:

> Eric Miller wrote:
>
> >  "From the air compressor (which you sit outside to draw in
> >  fresh air) I put
> >  a pressure regulator to drop the pressure to about 1 or 2
> >  psi.  You can buy
> >  these regulators any place that has air stuff for about $14.
> >   They have a
> >  yellow adjustment knob.  I then ran a 1/4 inch low pressure
> >  tube to my
> >  respirator.
>
> This is dangerous if done with an oil lubricated compressor. A normal "wet"
> type of compressor will produce an air stream with hydrocarbons, and CO.
> Companies like SAS (Survival Air Systems) sell filters that will produce
> breathable air from standard compressors, but these systems cost as much as
> standalone supplied air systems, in large part due to the cost of the
> required CO monitor.  The filter runs $200-$300, and the CO monitor is
> $400-$500.

Another method is to put the air pump on the other end... pumping air
out, not in.
I have set up a paint booth by enclosing an area in plastic sheet
and using a small box fan and some aluminum ducts to pull air out of
the booth.  Fresh air comes in to replace the air that's pulled out.

If you sealed up the paint booth sufficiently, you could run a
large diameter hose from outside to a breathing mask, so
the clean incoming air went to you first.

Note that there is an explosion hazard if you have a fan
that sparks.  When I did it, the long ducts served to
get the paint to settle as dust-- the fan stayed clean.
I was only painting motorcycle parts though, your mileage may vary.
If I did this again, I'd at least use an air filter between the
booth and the fan..

Eric