Re: A question about sealing tyre beads

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A question about sealing tyre beads
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 17:06:40 -0500
I tried every trick I could think of (except silicone caulk), and could never
get them to seal. I finally bought tubes, installed them inside the tyres, and
have not had a moment's problem since. I should have done it years ago.

Mike

nick brearley wrote:

> I'd be grateful if anyone could comment on the wisdom (or otherwise) of
> sealing low pressure flotation tyres to the rim with silicone caulk. Once
> you have tried to get Terra tyres to seal at 10psi on less than perfect
> rims the caulk becomes very attractive because it works, but I have this
> nagging fear about storing up problems for the future. Not having the
> confidence to try the Icelandic lighter fuel trick this method makes a good
> field repair to keep a tractor working.
>
> Are there likely to be any long term effects on the rubber?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick Brearley
> A UK lurker who's been envying those lucky people on the list who need to
> humidify a house in the winter, our problems are quite the reverse.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve
the quality of life, please press 3." --Alice Kahn