RE: compressed air system components

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: compressed air system components
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:57:48 -0800
> That "Every time the compressor shuts off, its blows off some air and
> sprays water on the tank" thingy is not really an auto drain, it's
> called an unloader.

Mmmm, no.  An unloader only vents from the line between the compressor and
the check valve into the tank.  There's no water there to spray ...

Some automatic drain valves do indeed look for that drop in pressure to
trigger the tank drain.  Personally, I just plumbed a ball valve out to
where I can move it with my toe, whenever I take a notion to drain the tank.
But then, it's pretty arid around here, so I don't have to do it very often.

Randall