Fw: tractor rec's

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: tractor rec's
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 00:35:51 -0600
 Randall replied:

 >>> Must be one heavy lawnmower, if it can pull 1600 pounds on turf tires !

 Actually, my favorite lawn mower is a 4wd Kubota with fat traction tires
 (!).  and it would only have to pull the 800 pound capability of the Cub.
.

 >>> Note that the test only mentions the rated horsepower, the actual
 drawbar
 horsepower demonstrated in their test G is more like 8.75.

 I'll explain the test procedure:  the 25% miraculous gain in test G dbhp
was
 achieved by the allowance of  unlimited cast iron and/or liquid tire-fill
 weight. . . in some cases, tractor are loaded with ballast weights
 approaching the weight of the tractor itself; not practical for daily use
 and really tough on the tractor.

 >>> Of course, tractive effort is not the same thing as drawbar horsepower,
 5hp tractor can out-pull a 15hp tractor ... if it weighs more and has the
  right gears ... it just does it slower.

 True, and a kitten-on-a-treadmill could . . . etc., etc.,  but the Cub is
at
 a distinct disadvantage here . . It's lowest gear (the test tractor in
#386)
 is a really rapid 2.14 mph,  that's high gearing.  Serious tractors will
 have one or more gears under one mph.

 >>> I certainly can't claim to know, but I thought the 1200 rpm PTO was
 something of a standard in the 15hp and under class.

 AFAIK, only on the Cub and maybe two semi-rare Japanese units.  The 6
spline
 1 1/8" or 1 3/8" PTO running at approximately 540 rpm was a pretty
universal
 standard for decades on all sizes of serious tractors.    To lower the
 u-joint and driveline stress,  a 1000 rpm standard was adopted in the
 sixties for larger tractors . .  like 70 HP  and up.   Some tractors had
 coaxial drives for the PTO . . An owner could have a 540 rpm stub AND a
1000
 rpm stub, each engaging it's proper driveshaft..  The standard required the
 different splines to prevent over-speeding of 540 implements by mistake.
 Some 540 tools would be destroyed if run at 1000.
 (The Servis G60 stalk shredder for one)

 I'm getting out-of-date on the new stuff but I'll try to be helpful on
 anything up through the eighties.

 Tony in Texas