Re: Ford van brake troubles

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <jamesf@bayarea.net>
Subject: Re: Ford van brake troubles
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:00:18 -0500
The E-250 used hub centric wheels.  The E-250 is considered moderately
heavy duty, which is why it uses this wheel mounting system.

You *can* get away with grinding the lip of the rotor off, or grinding
the wheel and mounting lugcentric.  But you are much more likely to have
permenent vibration problems due to being off center.  I've done this on
my trailer and have gotten away with it, but I can tell you that at
least one of those wheels isn't centered correctly on the lugs.  Just
because the lug nuts are tapered does not mean the wheel is lugcentric!

If it were me, I'd return the rotors and re-order from a different
vendor.  I'd also be examining other E-250 front wheels closely to see
if in fact the wheels are correct on your truck (they almost assuredly
are).  The most likely problem is the lip size is wrong on the Federal
Mogul part (not at all uncommon, in spite of their denial).