Re: Drill Press Run-out

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Drill Press Run-out
From: Kelley Mascher <mascherk@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:31:11 -0700
The first thing you want to do is measure the runout of the spindle. Remove the
arbor and put a dial test indicator on the inside of the taper hole in the
spindle. Read the runout. Since you don't have a DTI or dial gauge set up a
piece of heavy wire with sharpened point on one end so it is pointing very
close to the inside of the taper hole in the spindle. It will probably take a
bit of gentle pushing and pulling to get it close without hitting. You should
be able to resolve the runout to a few thousandths or less. Good lighting is
essential.

Chances are that most of the runout you see now is in the arbor. Sometimes
simply removing the chuck from the arbor and refitting it 180 degrees around
will help.

Good luck,

Kelley

At 10:30 PM 4/10/02 -0400, LRuggi2635@aol.com wrote:

>All right guys, here's a good one--
>
>what's an exceptable run-out for a 16" Crapsman floor standing drill press?
>I've removed/reinstalled the chuck and arbor combo and it still appears to
>wobble maybe 10 thou or so (I don't have a dial gauge yet, or I'd use it).  I
>need to ream some new bushings to size soon and this is aggravating. And of
>course it's out of warrantee.  Any way to narrow down where the wobble
>originates-- haven't divorced the chuck from the arbor spindle yet. By the
>way, it's only seen occasional use in the 2 years I've owned it.  TIA
>
>Larry Ruggiero
>Warner Robins, GA

Kelley Mascher
206-789-8935