Re: was Prepping a floor, Now lifting beam

To: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Subject: Re: was Prepping a floor, Now lifting beam
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:33:37 -0500
The design you are talking about moves in an arc.  I don't exactly
get this, but it still seems that an old fashioned engine crane would have
more flexibility.  Am I missing something here?..........

no Steve you're right...  the cherry picker is much more versatile.  but
some folks don't have room for that or just need something with a straight
lift and swing.  I was just offering an alternative.  My garage is small
enough that if I have the truck inside over the picker, I can lift .... but
have to move the truck to do anything with the picker...

The web site for the monorail trolley thing is
www.homemetalshopclub.org/projects/crane/crane.html.

I liked it for the ingenuity he used also..  nice design and well executed.
good example of designing the tool for the job.  Plus he's got a pretty
nice basement shop also..

Oh, for a 40 x 60 shop with four bays... and storage space... and a
lift...and a snap on truck full of tools...and time to use it all !!!

nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented and motivated fool