Re: was Prepping a floor, Now lifting beam

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: was Prepping a floor, Now lifting beam
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 06:19:31 -0600
Steven Trovato wrote:

> I have an I beam across my garage.  It's not there for the purpose you
> describe, it's there to hold the rest of the house up!  I've considered
> putting a trolley on it for engines, etc, but I haven't convinced myself
> that this is all that desirable.  With this setup, I will only be able to
> lift and move in one line, which may not be all that convenient.

 I've used both longitudinal and lateral fixed trolley beams.  They
worked just fine.  For longitudinal, you just roll the car back to sit
the engine down.

 Right now I just have a fixed lift point and move the car under it.  I
got rid of the shop crane several years ago; it was always in the way
when I wasn't using it.

 If you decide to go for a shop crane, I suggest paying extra for the
fold-up type.

--
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?