Re: appliance repair (Logic check to next step)

To: "Steve Budde" <super_racenut@juno.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: appliance repair (Logic check to next step)
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:29:09 -0400
Not sure what you mean by the 'back of the fridge gets hot'...

You symptoms sounded similar to what our fridge was doing (or not doing).
The back wall of the freezer section (inside the fridge) was covered with a
layer of frost. It turned out there is a heater element *inside* the back
wall of the freezer section. It's purpose was to keep the freezer the
frost-free. When the heater element timer conked out, the accumulated ice
prevented proper operation of the cooling system.

The (inside) back wall of the freezer came out with the removal of a few
screws. The cooling coils thus exposed were covered with ice. Melting the
ice allowed the fridge to run OK for a week while waiting for the parts to
arrive.

Eric