Update - shop A/C

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update - shop A/C
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 05:02:13 -0600
Sunday the temps got up around 90+ around the Dallas area and we were able to
use the newly installed shop a/c.  We set the thermostat at 80 and in the early
part of the day with the outside temperature around 82 to 84 it didn't run much
at all.  However in the latter part of the afternoon the outside thermometer
said it was about 95.  Inside the shop the A/C ran for periods ranging from a
few minutes to 15 minutes or so before getting down to the setpoint.  The
humidity level was noticably lower and much more comfortable.  Currently there
is no duct work installed other than a 3 foot section of plenum mounted to the
top of the air handler.  This has two openings cut in it, one pointing to the
opposite side of the garage and one pointing towards the far end.  I found that
while laying under a vehicle working or just moving around the shop there was a
pleasant feeling of cool air.  I'd have to say the 5-ton unit we bought is
going to be sufficient and once we have the insullation blown in this winter
along with the big gaps along the overhead doors, next year should be even
better.

Thanks to all who provided their thoughts and suggestions.

Brad
(cool in texas!)