Re: oil bath air filters

To: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: oil bath air filters
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:31:38 -0700
On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 03:20:12PM -0700, Randall Young wrote:

> The ones I'm familiar with actually forced the air through the oil, with
> essentially a large vertical separator afterwards to remove most of the oil
> droplets.
>
> I found a diagram at
> http://www.tpub.com/engine3/en32-4.htm
> (scroll to the bottom).  It does not show the oil level clearly, but it
> would be above the level of the intake tube that runs down the center.  The
> air bubbles through the oil, then enters the outer section, packed with wire
> mesh, where the oil separates and runs back down.  Any small amount of oil
> that gets carried out just acts as top cylinder lube ...

That site has some text explaining how oil-bath air cleaners work:

"The air is drawn into the cleaner through an opening in the center
of the top. As the air reaches the bottom of this passage, it changes
direction and flows up around the outside of the center passage through
the metal-wool element. The centrifugal force, caused by the sudden change
in direction, traps large particles of dirt in the oil in the bottom of
the cleaner. Smaller particles of dirt in the oil picked up by the air
are trapped in the metal-wool element. It is important not to overfill
the oil reservoir during maintenance, as this will cause oil to be drawn
into the engine.  Light-duty oil bath air cleaners work in the same way,
but because of their size, they are not capable of providing the same
volume of air to the engine."

It sounds to me from that explanation that the air doesn't
bubble through the oil.  I haven't seen the innards of an oil bath
filter to know which its supposed to be, I'm just trying to figure
it out.

Eric