Tech tip - Blast cabinet hookah

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Tech tip - Blast cabinet hookah
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:03:50 EDT
These plans were sent to the Spridgets list in March.  I don't think Frank
Clarici will mind if I post them here.  Hope this helps.

Allen Hefner

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Subject: Tech Tip - End sandblast cabinet dust
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 00:01:07 -0500

Yesterday Joe Mec and I decided to make a dust collection system for my glass
bead cabinet. Yeah, the ole shop vac hooked up to the cabinet sort of works
for 3 minutes til the filter clogs up and if you run the vac with no filter,
the motor sounds real funny after a couple days of sucking fine glass beads
in it. So.....a couple of Italian heads, some good ole yankee ingenuity and a
bunch of junk from around the garage and we made a wet filter system that so
far seems to work.

You will need;

1 shop vac (the small $20-30 1 gallon size works fine)
1 empty 5 gallon spackle bucket with tight fitting lid.
3' (min) of 3/4 or 1" ID rubber or vinyl hose.
2) 3/4 or 1" (see hose size) PVC ribbed couplings.

Drill 2 holes in the bucket lid to fit the ribbed couplings, if they are not
real tight, caulk or seal them where they go thru the lid.

Cut a length of hose to fit 3/4 of the way into the bucket.
Cut a short one inch piece of hose for the inside of the other fitting, angle
it towards the side or make a splash diverter so to keep the water out of the
short hose.

Insert a length of rubber hose to your blast cabinet where the shop vac is
supposed to hook into or make a hole in the cabinet for the hose.

Run the other end of this hose to the bucket fitting with the long hose
inside.

Hook up the shop vac to the fitting with the short hose.

Fill the bucket 1/2 full with water or an anti freeze solution (in cold
climates)

When the vac is turned on it will create a suction in the water filled
bucket, dust from the blast cabinet will be drawn into the water.  No dust
gets into the shop vac.

So far it works great for me. Some playing around with the exact water level
so it does not wet the vac filter was needed or a foam filter would work too.
Be sure to use a wet/dry vacuum for this project. K-mart has/had the 1 gallon
shop vacs for around $20, the fittings are PVC and I picked up a 4' of 3/4"
ID vinyl hose. The whole project cost less then $30. (but I had the vac for a
year or so)

If you saw the dust and dirt around my blast cabinet, you would know why I
did this. If I used the shop vac directly, the filter clogged in 5 minutes so
I just gave up until now. I don't want to dust up my new garage, at least not
yet anyway.

Foreseeable problems.....
As the dirt fills the bucket, the water level will rise.
Water freezes in the cold so now a place for your used antifreeze :)

Improvments......
As my buddy the plumber came in while we were "creating" this thing, he wants
to add a drain and an automatic fill valve to the bucket. Of course this
would make it completely automatic but it's not THAT hard to empty a bucket
every couple months. Unless you mounted it up high in the lower portion of
your garage and have the blast cabinet upstairs like I do.

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ