Re: Flooring for portable shelter?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flooring for portable shelter?
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 17:25:20 -0600
Jim:

I put one of those up last year.  I laid down plastic tarps inside to
keep the moisture from coming up through the ground.  However I ran into
some problems here in snow country.  The area I selected had a slight
depression, and I didn't know it until spring.  The ground was still
frozen when the snow melted and I had about 3 inches of water on one
side in which my dear TD was standing.  Of course it turned cold again
so the car was standing in ice.

So, my recommedations:

Raise the area for the shelter some using gravel.  Make sure it has a
little crown and that any water outside will not run inside.  You need
the shelter on a slight hump.  Place a vapor barrier under the gravel.

I am also considering the following and would appreciate comments, input
from everyone.

1) Accurately level and slightly crown the area with gravel or sand.
2) Lay down 1" foam insulation board.
3) Glue over the bead board 5/8 inch particle board or CDX plywood
staggering the joints so the floor becomes one solid mass.

My plan is that I will have a raised area, and the floor will not allow
moisture to up inside to condense on everything.

The flaps around the outside will do just that: "flap" in the wind.  I
screwed scrap lumber to the 4x6 sill boards and banked dirt against
flaps from the outside to keep junk and leaves from blowing in under the
edges.  I don't like the dirt idea and if I build the floor, I will tack
the flaps to the sill plate using thin boards over the flaps.

Blake