Re: Flooring for portable shelter?

To: yd3@nvc.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flooring for portable shelter?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:08:40 -0400
>What we've done on my dad's is to place cynder blocks next to each other
>to completely fill the inside of the shed.  Actually we layed the blocks
>to cover an area slightly larger than the shed.
><<<Snip>>>
>Did you lay the blocks smooth side up?  There's been advice about not
>using cinder blocks to hold up cars instead of jack stands.  Cinder
>blocks crumble.  Another option would have been to have been to lay them
>holes up and fill the holes with sand.  Did you use a vapor barrier
>under the blocks?

Blake,

  No, we used solid blocks, and no we don't have a vapor barrier.
His shed is 8x12' and houses lawn tractors, and shelving.  Not
a car.

  You should NEVER, EVER, I mean NEVER, NEVER, EVER use cinder
blocks to support a car instead of jackstands.  We have an average
of 1 person killed in the metro area each year doing that.  One
case, a father was working on his car, and his son-in-law came
over to help.  The son-in-law was under the car when the blocks
collapsed.  It killed him. He was in his early 20s, been married
about 1 year and had a baby on the way.

  The other case about 2 yrs ago, a little league coach was
working on his car.  The blocks collapsed and killed him.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org