opening up a cement block wall

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: opening up a cement block wall
From: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:36:35 -0600 (MDT)
We have a six foot high cement block wall across our back yard.  We need
to make a ten foot opening in it to put in a drive gate for our new Ultra
Van.  I could just drive my crewcab PW through it (the fun way?), but I'd
like to salvage the blocks for other uses, like raising the height of
another wall.  Is there a good way to cut the mortar joints out between
the blocks?  I put a masonry cutoff wheel on my 4-1/2 inch grinder and
that cuts it, but it would be slow going, and possibly use a lot of wheels
($).  I was thinking some kind of small masonry drill would punch through
and loosen the joints and I could then just slide the blocks off the wall.
Any suggestions?

--
Kevin Sullivan             kevins@khoral.com
Khoral, Inc.