RE: Shop Rags

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Shop Rags
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:05:45 -0700
> Here is a quick idea...
>
> Lots of Simple green in warm water.  Wash them by hand a bunch.
> Then, you
> can throw them into your regular washer. (maybe?)
>
> This would only work for mild oily rags.

FWIW, I've been trying to find a concoction that will clean the rags without
leaving deposits on the inside of the washing machine (I do launder my rags
in the home machine, clean it as necessary, then do a load of jeans as a
safety measure).  Last brew I tried was about 1/2 cup Palmolive hand dish
soap (antibacterial since that's what we use in the kitchen sink), 1 cup
Simple Green, and a normal measure of laundry detergent.  Then with the
machine running, I added more Palmolive (probably another 1/2 or 3/4 cup)
until suds began to stay on top of the water.  Worked pretty good, but not
perfect.

BTW I agree entirely with the comment about linseed oil causing oily rags to
self-combust.  Shouldn't be a problem with automotive lubricants (unless
you're using Castrol R <g>)

Randall