welding helmet, was: Re: welder

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: welding helmet, was: Re: welder
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:58:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Nolan Penney wrote:

> With my old fashioned unit I set the tension correctly on the unit to
> where it stays up, but with a nod of my head falls into place.  This
> allows me to see what I'm doing very well, and without moving my hands
> drop my shield in place.

I used an auto helmet briefly at work and I'm not sure I liked it.  but I
found that using the above method never quite worked right either.  either
I had to nod hard enough that my hands moved or the helmet always fell on
its own.

> By using an old fashioned unit I don't get flashed.  The auto-darkening
> units have come a long way in their rapid response, but there is still a
> time lag.  That is something I don't like.  It especially matters if I'm
> doing many restarts, as I would get a flash from every restart.

this was my problem too.  my solution was to close my eyes for a long
blink, strike an arc, then open.  yes, I couldn't see, but I couldn't see
when slamming my head to my chest to drop the helmet either.  I was always
paranoid though that I'd open my eyes and the shade wouldn't have
darkened.

> of auto darkening shields are much lighter then their ancestors, they
> still have a good bit of weight.  This matters to me when I'm spending
> hours on my back holding my head up, or hanging head down.

I'm having just the opposite problem.  the first helmet I ever used was
probably 25 years old and made of thick fiber-reinforced plastic.  pretty
stout and hard to flex or bend.  I can't find another like it anywhere.  I
don't like that new helmets flex out if you breathe on them too hard.

either I'll come off the money for a good auto-dark or do something I
read on the list--use halogen lights to get the work area bright enough
that you can see what you're doing on a regular shade before you strike
the arc.

scott