Re: welder

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: welder
From: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:42:18 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Nolan Penney wrote:
> > By using an old fashioned unit I don't get flashed.  The auto-darkening
> > units have come a long way in their rapid response, but there is still a
> > time lag.  That is something I don't like.  It especially matters if I'm
> > doing many restarts, as I would get a flash from every restart.
>
>    ...define "flash"?
>

>    There are also batteryless kinds that darken in 1/5000th of a
> second at the same shop, which is slower but even that sounds
> like it would be fast enough to avoid any visible flash...

I've got one of these solar-powered ones.  It's a fairly cheap one from HTP,
that was part of the package when I bought my machine.  I forget what its
claimed operating time is, but it's plenty fast enough that I don't notice any
flash.  One thing to remember is that the ANSI spec (and OSHA regulations)
for auto-darkening helmets requires that they provide UV and IR light
protection at all times.

> > The old fashioned units are light weight.  While the newer generation
> > of auto darkening shields are much lighter then their ancestors, they
> > still have a good bit of weight.
>
>    Again, I really disagree with this. The lens in my auto darkening
> helmet weighs basically nothing, and the rest is just a normal helmet.

Indeed.  The element in mine weighs an ounce or two, not much more than
a piece of filter glass would.

> > Repairs and adjustments of the old fashioned units are also very nice.
> > Changing filters and protective glass fronts takes but a minute, and is
> > cheap to do.

Mine has the normal set of adjustments for tightness and flip down force.
It also takes standard sized protective plates.

David