Re: welder & glasses

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welder & glasses
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 07:25:55 -0400
John T. Blair wrote:
> While we are on the subject of welding, helmits, and the
> autodarkening lenses, I have a question.
>
> I wear bifocals.  But when I weld, if I have my glasses on,
> I can't see a thing, as I'm looking through the wrong lens.
> Some have suggested getting a pair of reading glasses to
> wear.  This sounds like a good idea, but how do I figure
> out what power?  Should I get some that would allow me to
> confortably read a book?  I don't know how far I should
> be from the material I'm welding.
I think you should be at a distance that is comfortable for your arms and hands
to work. Figure out what that is and head down to your local discount or drug
store where they have inexpensive reading glasses for sale. Bring a drawing or
picture with you and hold it at the approximate position that you determined is
right for your welding and try different glasses on. They are so inexpensive
that you might want to pick up a couple of different ones and use the one that
seems best.

I am also nearsighted, but wear the gradual transition bifocals and don't have
problem welding when I am above the work. But if I have to work up higher,
things are not good. I suspect that is where the reading glasses might help me.

Let us know how (or if) you resolve the problem, as you are not alone.

Mike

> Currently, I just take my glasses off to weld.  But them I
> really have to "eat" my work to be able to see.  I think my
> eyes are about 20-200 corrected to 20-20.  I'm not sure
> what the "close" lense is on my glasses.
>
> What are the rest of you bifocal wearing guys doing?
>
> John

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Speech is conveniently located midway between thought
and action, where it often substitutes for both.
-John Andrew Holmes