Re: Line trimmer (no car stuff at all)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Line trimmer (no car stuff at all)
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 11:20:56 -0400
Yes, Allen, as you "consume" the line, little bits of it get thrown around. But
they are quite small and fall down onto the ground below the grass and weeds. I
have been using a commercial grade trimmer along a 500' fence line for the last
30 year or so and have yet to see any bits of orange "string" lying around. I
suppose if I did it for anothe hundred years or so, I might start to see some
material, but I am not going to be around to find out. :-)

Mike

LBC286@aol.com wrote:
> Well, this list is a bit quiet, so here goes.
>
> I bought a house last October, so this summer I bought a 15" Toro electric
> line trimmer.  Small yard, so that is all I need and they are relatively
> cheep at 40 bucks.  But, it got me thinking...
>
> When I bump the line feed, more line comes out.  (That, in itself seems like
> magic, but I digress...)  As you cut the weeds, where does the line go?  Why
> does it get shorter?  Should I see little bits of line everywhere? (I don't!)
>  Will I eventually see piles of line dust growing where the weeds used to be?
>  Are the pieces of line microscopic when they break off?  Do bugs pick them
> up and make line feed nests for their young?
>
> Enquiring minds want to know!
>
> Allen Hefner

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"'twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe: all mimsy
were the borograves, and the mome raths outgrabe..." (5 points if you know the
next couplet)