Another 220v question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Another 220v question
From: "Bob Chansler" <rchansle@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:51:01 -0600
Can someone explain the different combinations for wiring 220v plugs? I
used a 50A dryer receptacle for my welder and changed the cord on the
welder. The old welder cord used the two hot legs and the green (ground)
wire. The dryer cord uses the two hot legs and the white wire. The guy at
the hardware store said the white and green are interchangeable in this
case....... I notice some 220v circuits use tow hot and white, some use two
hot and green, and some use all 4. I also am trying to wire up my spa to an
old outside box that was used for A/C. It is a 50A circuit, but has only
the two hot wires and green (bare) wire. The spa wants 4 wires, two hot,
white and green. Do I need to run another white wire from the panel to this
box, and can I run it by itself without any conduit or sheathing? The spa
also needs a GFI breaker. I'm confused.

Thanks,

Bob Chansler