Re: Another 220v question

To: marka@telerama.com
Subject: Re: Another 220v question
From: Gt6steve@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 17:32:43 EDT
<<
 ----- Original Message -----
 From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
 > So if you have a single outlet run from the box to the outlet, what's the
 > difference between neutral and safety?  Seems like they're both tied to
 > the same thing at the box...  I.e. why can't you run one wire from box to
 > the outlet and make it both neutral & safety, with another wire the hot
 > wire?

Hey Mark,
Your question is the obvious one that confuses almost everybody that starts
looking at grounds and neutrals.  I explain it that the INTENT is the
principal difference.  The neutral wire does the work in conjunction with the
hot wire.  It is possible for it to burn, work loose or otherwise fail and if
it did the current would find a return path to the source.  Perhaps thru a
person with fatal results.
The ground wire on the other hand never intentionally carries current.  It
doesn't expand and contract with heat and is less likely to fail during
service.  It is, in theory, always there as a Safety path to return current
to the source and can provide an easier path than thru a body in the event of
a neutral problem.
Does that help?