Re: Lawn Sprinkler System

To: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@Prodigy.Net>,
Subject: Re: Lawn Sprinkler System
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:40:02 -0400
Bob,

I would contact all the major sprinkler manufacturers.  When I designed and
installed my system over ten years ago, I got a "Planning and Installation
Guide" from Toro, "Install Your Own Sprinkler System in 3 easy steps" from
Lawn Genie and "Install your Sprinkler System in 5 Steps" from Rain
Bird.  None of these were "definitive works", but they were free and helped
me with the basics.  There are also some sprinkler parts vendors on the
web.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to send them an email as well.  One of the
things you want to check into is the correct way to hook into your water
system.  My local code required a "swing check" and a "vacuum break", but I
understand some areas are a bit different.  The idea is to make sure that
in a time of lost water pressure, water can't go backwards from the
sprinkler system back into the water lines in your home.  I designed my
system with "head to head" coverage, but don't get fanatical about it
unless you are fanatical about your lawn in general.  If you just want to
keep it from turning brown, it's not the end of the world if one part gets
a little more water than another.

-Steve