heating oil tank; weird glass explosion

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: heating oil tank; weird glass explosion
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@bayarea.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 18:58:46 -0700
I have an unused heating oil tank in my basement. The previous owners
converted to natural gas. It's in the way of a 16' woodworking bench
I want to build, but a friend says it'd be a decent enough selling
point for the house that I should leave it. Opinions? I'm in MA.

Also, I have 4 halogen lights in the basement. They mount to the
ceiling like florescent fixtures but are smaller and hold 2 bulbs
each. The bulbs are recessed into the fixture and there is a glass
plate over each bulb, about 3x5. After being gone for a week I
went into the basement to find one of the glass plates had shattered.
There's a grate under the plate so I know it shattered then fell.

The plate is held in by two sheet metal clips that run the length
of the bottom of the 3" side. The top of the plates rest against screws
that hold in the reflector
that fills the bulb receptacle, one screw on each side. The clips don't look
strong enough to place enough pressure on the plates to cause the
shattering.  Has anyone seen this happen? It wans't unusually cold this week.

thanks,
jim