Re: heating oil tank; weird glass explosion

To: jamesf@bayarea.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: heating oil tank; weird glass explosion
From: LSAPEX@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:09:11 EDT
Does it have oil in it?
We converted to gas about 7 or 8 years ago. Our tank has been sitting with
close to a 100 gals of oil in it. We never got around to draining and
disposing of the tank until about a month ago........it started to leak. I
think lack of use promoted deterioration of the tank. The outside looked
perfectly fine.
How do you stop 100 gallons of oil from leaking into your cellar?
Duct tape! It was taken out within a couple of days. Also in MA.
Go for the work bench.
Be sure to remove the filler/vent pipes from the outside of the house.

<< I have an unused heating oil tank in my basement. The previous owners
 converted to natural gas. It's in the way of a 16' woodworking bench
 I want to build, but a friend says it'd be a decent enough selling
 point for the house that I should leave it. Opinions? I'm in MA.  >>

Les.
www.apexautoeng.com