Re: Copper gaskets

To: LBC286@aol.com
Subject: Re: Copper gaskets
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:00:23 -0700
To anneal (soften) copper, heat to a dull red & let cool. Doubt if you
can get it hot enough in the oven. Range burners or a torch or both may
be needed if the part is large. Obviously, don't get it hotter than dull
red or it will melt. Doesn't matter whether it air cools or is quenched,
it comes out the same. Quenching in water will remove most of the black
oxide coating if this matters. Or you can clean it up with steel wool.
Copper can only be hardened by work hardening.

Dave Russell