RE: Copper gaskets

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Copper gaskets
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 14:10:43 -0800
> "ok engineer types!  afterheating the copper gasket should it air
> dry?  oil
> quench or water quench?
> to get a used copper gasket to swell and soften up for reuse?
> i can not rememberand i have one here that is going in the oven tomorrow!"
>
> chuck
> cfchrist@earthlink.net

I believe it actually doesn't matter, copper does not harden on cooling as
steel does.  Quenching may cause it to warp a bit, but I don't think this is
a problem.

However, I note that Mordy Dunst at Gasket Works USA no longer recommends
annealing copper head gaskets

ANNEALING: Recent testing has NOT shown a benefit to annealing (making
copper soft). Conventional lore and some metallurgical intuition has many
believing that annealing is critical. Using proper clamping force with high
quality fasteners and using GWG P/5 as directed has been successful in
NON-annealed copper gaskets. (April 2002). Motors that have a steel O ring
around the cylinder bore will however, benefit from annealing. In that the
gasket will seat into the O ring. But, it's reusability is doubtful.
<<<
http://www.headgasket.com/whnew.html

Randall