Re: Tools Brands

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tools Brands
From: "Steven D. Budde" <super_racenut@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 22:50:19 -0600
Hey here's a subject I can talk about.

A couple of years ago I had my tool box stolen and all of my 40+ year old
tools were gone.  I can't afford to replace a whole box of Snap-on, MAC,
BOG tools.  I followed the advise of this list and have bought different
brands of things depending on the use.  Craftsman rachets are crap
now-a-days and they move to far before they click so I bought Facom
rachets.  Best damn money I spent in my tool box.  They are great.  My
sockets are all craftsman and bought off of eBay.  3/8 deep and short,
standard and metric.  1/4, 1/2 standard shorts all for about $20.  I
figured when they break I can be anywhere in the country and find a sears
to replace it.  The open end and box's are craftsman and about 1/3 as
thick in the handle as the old ones, luckily I had one in the house so
they didn't get them "all".  Stick with a name brand from a chain store
and you shouldn't have too many problems depending on how hard you use
it.  I do see a new facom 9/16 box in my near future however.  Just as
soon as the old one breaks I show it to the wife so she can "authorize" a
tool purchase, then sneak over to sears and get the broke one replaced
free, now I have 2!!

Steve Budde
super_racenut@juno.com