Strange Stripper Advise... Is this for real?

To: autobodyrestoration@yahoogroups.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Strange Stripper Advise... Is this for real?
From: "Patton Dickson" <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:57:45 -0600
I found the below paint stripping recipe.... This sounds too easy, any
thoughts from the peanut gallery. What would be the environmental
issues?

I am guessing that this would be bad for my aluminum bonnet, any other
areas to worry about?

Patton

------------------------

In about 5 quarts of water add and stir in about one cup of corn starch.
This is the ingredient that makes it stick to the surface of what you
are stripping. Add to this mixture stirring as you add one full can of
RED DEVIL LYE. The lye can be found in the laundry or drain cleaner
section of your local grocery store and cost about 3 dollars for a can.

It works like magic. Just paint it on with a small mop or a big paint
brush and let it sit for at least 30 minutes and then rinse off with
water under pressure. Either from the hydrant or a pressure washer. Both
will work.

It may take a few applications according to how many coats of paint you
are trying to get off but you can take it to the metal and not have to
sand anything. You can paint directly on the bare metal. It will adhere
better than if you prime it with Lacquer.

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp 'vert

1967 MGB Roadster

Website -  <http://carport.virtualave.net/>