Re: Headligght Adjustment

To: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Headligght Adjustment
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@dlux.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 15:56:48 -0800
On Sunday, March 2, 2003, at 03:07 PM, Bob Nogueira wrote:

> In my youth we had a formula for adjusting the headlights on a car ( I
> think
> it was actually part of the DMV drivers license test).  It was
> something
> like the beam had to drop 2 inches at 25 feet and
> the left light had to be so many inches from the centerline.
> Anyone  remember the formula?

When I installed Carrello Biode lamps in my '68 Volvo 142S, I put the
car in a darkened warehouse, and drove right up to the wall. I stuck
bits of tape on the wall, right in the center of the high beam
illumination of each headlight. Then I backed the car straight
backwards about 50 feet. I adjusted the high beams so they were still
centered about the pieces of tape. The low beams took care of
themselves.

As far as fine-tuning the low beams, take the car on a straight, dark
(and lonely -- you don't want interruptions) road. Take sheets of
cardboard or something to block the lamps, one at a time. Then walk
ahead of the car 100-150 feet and see where the pattern is hitting your
clothing. Adjust so it's where you want it. Then do the other lamp.

The Carrellos were a dual-reflector lamp, where the high beam reflector
was low and forward in the housing, and acted as the cutoff mask for
the low beam. Very nice lamps.

- Bill Rabel