RE: Breaking off a tap?!

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Breaking off a tap?!
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:05:55 -0800 (PST)
> > Chris, I beg to differ.  The difference between taper, plug and
> bottoming
> > taps is only how long the taper at the beginning of the tap is.

Well, Randall, we're both right. Even though I checked Machinery's Handbook
(mine is an old edition, the tenth), I misremembered what I read between
the time I put the book down and started typing:

"the diameter of the straight portion of the thread of all the taps is the
same in all the regular type of hand tap. Taps are made in sets,
however, where only the bottoming tap is of the full diameter, while
the other taps gradually increase in diameter, so as to distribute
the work between the tree taps."

These latter sets are/were called "serial hand taps". No idea if they're
at all common these days.

chris