Re: Breaking off a tap?!

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Breaking off a tap?!
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:07:22 -0800
Steven Trovato wrote:

>Have any of you actually tried building one of these?  I have the book, and
>I'm tempted, but I haven't tried it yet.
>
>-Steve

I bought the book as well, but it looks like a larger project than I
want to attempt.
Didn't the author say forty hours?  The finished machine in action was
using a clay
dam to hold the fluid in place.  So I think it won't work where there's any
awkward positioning required.  Couldn't cost justify this one.

Since I'm discussing stuff that I know little about, has anyone used a
welder using
DC+?  If DC- causes the electrode material to be transfered to the metal
being
weled, would DC+ pull metal from the work piece and transfer to the
electrode?

Steve Shipley