implements for grass cutting and snow removal

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: implements for grass cutting and snow removal
From: Ron Horwitz <ronglue@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:15:17 -0800 (PST)
I am going to be moving from Cincinnati to Buffalo
shortly.  In Cincinnati I had a push mower (which is
not worth moving) to cut 0.5 acres and our snow was
never bad enough for more than a good ole shovel.  I
will be moving into a house with one acre of flat,
open yard (only one tree island to maneuver around)
and 150' of driveway.  I am trying to decide how to
handle the outside chores so as to maximize shop
tinker time.  Do the snow plows that attach to riding
mowers work effectively or are they worthless?  Am I
better off to get a dedicated lawn mower and a snow
blower?  What about the new snow plows that fit into a
front receiver and don't have in-cab controls?  Can
they be angled enough to push to the side or do they
just push straight ahead?

If anyone has any comments I'd love to hear them.  I
don't have an overabundance of storage space or the
sheer size requirements to go looking for an older
tractor, etc.  I feel like I'm stuck in a 'tweener.
Big enough to need a plan, small enough to need
something fairly sedate.

Thanks,
Ron