Re: weed eater

To: <janealpg@airmail.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: weed eater
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:10:57 -0500
I have one of the heavier Stihl machines as well.  FS95 I think, but I'm
not sure off hand.

Anyhow, I use the plastic blades on it.  I have 4 acres of rough farm
land, numerous out buildings, small orchard, a creek and pond.   Trim
type work is a substantial part of the mowing on my place.

With the plastic blades and the big Stihl, I can trim the fence lines
and such at a normal walking pace.  Just hold the head in position and
walk  The plastic teeth do not do much damage to the fence wire
(standard woven wire field fence) unless I jam the head into it, and
then it only kinks wire.  The teeth last far longer then strings do.

Switching up to this big Stihl unit made all the difference in the
world for me.  I had been using a standard home owner weedeater brand
string trimmer before, and it just didn't cut the mustard at all.  The
big Stihl sounds like a dirt bike when running, and cuts down small
trees.

I use the body harness and wide handlebars to control and carry it.
The unit isn't light and I'm carrying it for a while when I'm trimming,
so this helps me a lot.

>>> Jan Goethals <janealpg@airmail.net> 03/19/03 11:11AM >>>

I need a really heavy duty weed eater to trim/keep weeds off of an
electric wire surrounding 20 acres as well as cross fencing inside the

20 acres.  Tractor mowing will not complete the job well enough to get

up under the fence.  The "weeds" are really thick and often growing in

an area that stays wet/muddy.  The weed eater I have now (Ryobi 775i
(?)
is a 4 cycle gas engine and OK for the one acre yard but not the
pasture
trimming and other maintence around other buildings.  Any
recommendations?  I really get tired of changing the plastic string and

the trimming I do really eats it up fast.  Have any of you used the
metal blades that can be attached to a weed eater?  Consumer reports
recommends a John Deere weed eater, but I don't think it is much more
powerful than the Ryobi I have now.