Re: Bead Blast question

To: shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net, Ray Bahr <rbahr@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Bead Blast question
From: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:23:12 -0400
Hello Ray,

Sunday, April 13, 2003, 1:41:20 AM, you wrote:

Ray> Hi All,

Ray> I have been trying to clean my rums in a bead blast cabinet I made.
Ray> Question is that all the fine dust/dirt that I am knocking off the rims
Ray> keep clogging up the exhaust filter  causing the visibility to go to zero
Ray> inside the cabinet. The filter is a pleated gortex based filter that are
Ray> sold as replacements for some shop-vac vacuums.Any suggestion on how to
Ray> keep this filter from clogging so easily?

Got this from one of the guys on the spridget list.    Somewhere in
the archives there is a more complete explanation, but this should
get you started and the price is right.

From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:08:22 -0500
CC: spridgets-digest@autox.team.net

> 3) Media goes everywhere. Forces out every opening by the positive air
>pressure generated inside of the cabinet. Port on the back for connencting a
>vent / shop vac to reduce pressure inside cabinet. If I connect a shop vac am
>I going to be shortly replacing a shop vac due to media clogging up filter /
>motor or is there a better way of collecting excess media / reducing back
>pressure, etc.

Wear a mask, turn on a fan to vent the shop, or pick up a cheapo Home
Defect $20 one gallon shop vac. Yes the dust will eat up the vac but I
have made a "bong" out of an old 5 gal spackle bucket.
Remove the filter in the vac, run the vac hose to a bucket with about 4"
of water in the bottom, do not extend the hose to the water, keep the
hose up high. (some fabrication to the bucket lid is needed for this)
On the other side of the lid, run a tube closeto the water (low in the
bucket) but not emersed in the water, this tube hooks to the back of the
blast cabinet. Vac on, dust from the cabinet gets sucked into the can
and trapped by the water. Use a wet/dry shop vac because it will suck up
sprayed water. if the water gets too high the vac sounds funny and stops
sucking. this thing stopped 99% of the dust for me. It took some guess
work to get the water height right but it lasts for 20-30 hours of
blasting before it needs to be cleaned out.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ

--
Best regards,
 Bill                            mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing.