Bullseye Pick

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Bullseye Pick
From: Diane and Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:35:32 -0700
For a quite a while now I've been collecting references material on body
and
sheet metal work, particularly aluminum sheet.  A few years back Eastwood
began
listing a tool in their catalog called a Bullseye Pick.  It comes in
three sizes
and its purpose is to raise low spots in sheet metal.  What's appealing
about
this tool is that it looks like it would minimize the likelihood of
putting added
dings in a car body, even by hammer challenged klutzes like myself .  Or
at least
it looks like it would.  I've never seen one used or talked to anyone who
has used
one, so I don't  know if this tool really works.

Recently I bought yet another metal fabrication book.  In it is a picture
of  Ron Covell,
the well known rod and custom car body fabricator, using one of these
tools to raise
the low spots along a welded seam in an aluminum panel.  This seems to
imply
that this tool really does works.  On the other hand, Covell sells this
tool through his
business (www.covell.biz/handtools.htm), so maybe this is just a subtle
promo.
BTW, his prices are lower than Eastwood's.  I also noticed that Eastwood
lists
one of Covell's videos in its catalog, so maybe they have some sort of
arrangement.

But my real question is, have any of you used one of these tools, and if
so, what is
your opinion.  Does it really do as good a job as claimed, or is it just
another
as-seen-on-TV gizmo?

TIA

Roland