Re: cooling system pressure test

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cooling system pressure test
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 17:41:30 -0400
At the first British car shop that I was employed we used the MityVac setup
with a radiator cap adaptor (also available from MityVac)... this setup
worked very well and with the pressure gauge right on the hand pump it was
easy to accurately pressurize the system and read the holding pressure.

Through the course of a few years someone lost the radiator cap adaptor, and
we ended up making our own, but still employed the MityVac pump for testing.
If the radiator was out of the car, I would just block off the inlet and
outlet with a square piece of rubber cut from an old inner tube and then use
a hose clamp to secure the rubber over the openings.  I'd pressurize the
radiator in a shallow tub of water, just to make the detection of escaping
air bubbles easier to see (we later got slick and used food dye for the
fluid in the radiator and then submerged it).

http://www.mityvac.com/

You will want to look at the model with the pressure gauge reading, which
reads up to 30psi.  Also the nice thing about the new hand pumps is that
they are die cast metal, whereas a few years ago I only recall the hand pump
being offered in plastic.

Kai