Re: More tool recommendations please.

To: shiples@attbi.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More tool recommendations please.
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:28:29 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/03 11:59:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
shiples@attbi.com writes:

> Incidentally,  I've never broken a hand tool other than a screwdriver.
> I've chipped some plating, and left tools where they rust, but wonder
> what kind of muscles you all have to break a socket.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I have broken my share of Craftsman tools.  My son has cracked the sockets
when he tries to get some nuts loose on his F250.  They rip along the thin
parts.  We broke THREE 3" extensions for the 3/8" socket set when we were
trying to get a hub off.  (Could it be the 2' pipe we slipped over the end to
get more leverage?)

I melted a screwdriver tip off, while changing a light switch, when I was too
lazy to go down to the basement to take out the fuse.  (That was a while
ago!)  And, just a tip, don't try to straighten a VW bumper in a Craftsman
woodworking vise.

Then there was the beam type torque wrench I borrowed from my ex-son-in-law.
He had used it as a breaker bar and it was outta whack.  He got a new one in
return.

All of these tools were replaced for free, with no hassles.  But that doesn't
mean I am happy with the quality.  The socket wrenches have really gone down
in quality.  Mine is an old one and still works well.  My son has stripped
the ratchet in several of the newer ones.

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget
'75 MG Midget (The Project)