Re: New toy - IR 2135Ti and a couple questions.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New toy - IR 2135Ti and a couple questions.
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:48:47 -0500
I've had a 3/8th's and a 1/2 inch drive Craftsman clicker for many years.
About 3 months ago the handle fell off the 3/8th's. I did not expect any
warranty as I knew the clicker's came with only a year of coverage.

Bought a new Craftsman 3/8th's and brought it home to finish the work
Set it to 14 ft/lbs and started tightening the first nut. Though "this seems
to be more than 14 ft/lbs and it has not clicked yet?" but that was
simply a feeling so I dismissed it. Then the bolt broke and I assumed it
REALLY WAS more than 14 ft/lbs.

Checked it against my 1/2 inch drive and it appeared to be closer to
19 ft/lbs. Note that the documentation suggest accuracy of +-4%
of setting for values greater than 5 ft/lbs, so 14.5 or 15 would have
been close to spec.

Found a Snap-on guy the next day and bought a 3/8th's Electronic
TechWrench. Used it on the new bolt and all the old bolts without
any problem. Checked the 1/2 inch drive against the Snap-on
3/8th's and it seems to be different by about a ft/lb across the board.
Checked the new Craftsman 3/8th's and it read 19 ft/lbs when
set to 14. Sears did not give me any flack when I returned the
wrench.

Also bought several Craftsman box-ends while I was there and was
very disappointed with the feel. They, like me, seem to have put
on a lot of weight around the middle. I like the feel of the old
ones - thinner, lighter, easier to use. And if the thinner handle was
an issue with my hands, I simply wrapped a shop rag around it
and pulled harder.

Arvid