RE: Cleaning out an engine and stuff

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cleaning out an engine and stuff
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 23:49:53 -0700
> So here is my dilemma...  I have a 360FE engine in an old truck I
> "inherited".  The truck's actually in reasonably good shape for being 33
> years old so I want to get the engine back to running order with
> minimal fuss.

Ralph, given all the problems you've outlined ... I'd have to say either go
the whole route & rebuild the engine, or else find a good used engine in a
junkyard and drop that in.  Junkyard parts are always a gamble, but last
time I bought one it cost less than just gaskets, bearings and rings to do
an overhaul.  Worked very well for many years, too.

> I guess it's a testament to this engine though, that with bad compression
> (and some oil-coated plugs), a shot distributor, seriously messed
> up carb,
> vacuum lines with holes in them (PCV was stuck too), oiled-down coolant,
> carbon and gunk a half inch thick in the heads, exhaust manifolds not
> sealed against the heads, and gas a year old in the tank, the thing still
> ran.  Not well, but it ran.  That makes me optimistic that with a little
> money and patience I should get a strong runner out of it.

One of the advantages of starting with a huge engine ... even if it's down
80% on power it can still pull a load.  Try that with 4-banger "98 hp
weakling" and it won't pull itself.

Randall