Re: painting project

To: "Marc" <smarc@abs.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: painting project
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 01:17:51 -0400
JNiolon@uss.com wrote:
>       next project...   repainting the woodwork... starting in the hall...
> done most of the trim using industrial grade enamel... shiny white... goes
> on like a dream... dries like glass...  now the problem  there are 11 doors
> into this hall that have to be painted...
>
> I've got an old (10 year old)  Wagner power painter...  (airless paint
> spitter)  .  I've painted some shutters and some fencing... but never
> anything that needed a fine coat of paint..  the doors are six panel with a
> stamped in wood finish.  Does anyone know if you can get a decent
> coat/finish using one of these on doors... seem like I remember them
> putting out a heavy coat, but finish left something to be desired...  with
> 22 door sides I hate to consider a brush...   suggestions ???   can /should
> good oil base enamel be thinned to push thru the Wagner or should I use a
> regular air gun ???   any suggestions/recommendations would be
> appreciated... I think this is only the tip of the painting iceberg at my
> house...
>
> thanks
>
> john

Just painted the first floor of my home, ceilings, walls, doors.  Most of the
work was preparation.

A combination of roller and brush works on these doors quite well and quickly.
Slop on the paint with a brush into the recessed parts and roll on the rest.
The paint contractors said when they paint with semi gloss they like to use
rollers and brushes to work the semi-gloss paint into the surface, even on the
walls.