GPS receivers?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: GPS receivers?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:27:21 -0600 (MDT)
How accurate and repeatable are currently available GPS devices?

My motivation for this actually stems from road racing.  Here in the
Salt Lake City area, we have racers but no race track.  We do have a club
that runs "vintage" races out on the concrete of the historic Wendover
airfield. [ http://www.team.net/ivr ]

For the last few years we've used the same course, with the cone
locations painted on the surface.  Now the new airport manager has
said we can no longer make permanent markings on the surface.  And
there is also a chance we may have to modify our course to adapt to
some changes being made.  So a new course, no way to mark it and very
few points of reference [ http://www.team.net/ivr/images/ivr_21.jpg]
for layout hints.  So would it be possible to locate some critical
apexes and such using a handheld GPS, with the less important cones
just filled in where it looks about right?

mjb.