synthetic oil in Tecumseh (no oil thread intended) ;)

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: synthetic oil in Tecumseh (no oil thread intended) ;)
From: dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:51:37 -0700
Almost three years ago I started using synthetic
20w50 in my Tecumseh 3.5 HP motors (a mower and a
pressure washer).

I know standard wisdom says nothing but straight
30 in side-valves, and the manual from Tecumseh
explicitly says "do not use muti-weight oils due
to increased engine wear and oil consumption."

I know that side valve engines are characterized
by comparatively higher oil temperatures, and this
probably the main reason for the mono-grade
specification.

One of the biggest advantages of synthetic is the
higher temperature survival rating and also longer
life (the ability of leaving it in longer). Also
supposedly reduced friction and a host of other
advantages.

Well, over the last three years I have been
changing the oil once a year (one pint required
for each engine, so it splits a quart yearly)
using Castrol Syntec 20w50.

I have not had to add any oil over the 12 month
intervals, and to my surprise, the California
specification pressure washer (the only way they
can get a flat head to pass the smog specs here is
to run them very, very lean) no longer has to be
restarted numerous times before it will continue
to run unaided (before the synthetic, I usually
had to restart it 4 or 5 times before it would
reach operating temperature and continue to run
unaided).  With synthetic, it now usually is a
single start.

I also had a problem with the power washer
stalling out under heavy load at times while using
straight 30.  It has not happened once since
changing to synthetic 20w50.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass along a few years of
experience in using synthetic in our venerable
little shop talk flat head engines.  Since they
only consume 1/2 quart once a year, aren't they
worth the $2.00 oil change?

best,

shook

los angeles