RE: Car/Tar question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Car/Tar question
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:05:54 -0700
> Last week they chip and tared one of the  parking lots at work.
> It was very windy that day and even though I had parked about 100
> yards away my new black $28k truck is covered in tar overspray.
> My employer is going back on the blacktopper (rightfully so) and
> he is wanting to send somebody out to "clean them up in the
> parking lot".  My gut is telling me to not let them touch my new
> truck and take it to a detail shop to have it done right.
> However I don't think it should come out of my pocket even though
> it's only $268.  Anybody have any experience on something like this?

Something similar happened at my work a few years back, although there were
some 30 or 40 cars damaged.  The offender (Mobil oil) set up a deal at a
local detail shop where everyone could take their cars and the shop would
bill Mobil directly.  Cars where the spots could not be removed to the
owner's satisfaction were treated to a respray, again by a local shop of
Mobil's choosing.

I would suggest contacting the black top company directly, and politely
explain what happened, and what you would like them to do about it.  I doubt
they will have any interest in doing the work themselves, but they may want
to negotiate on what detail shop you use.

If you can't come to an acceptable agreement, find out whether your area has
small claims court or not.  California does, and it works very well for
resolving problems like this.  Of course, it's up to you whether the $268 is
worth spending a day in court ... hopefully they will feel the same way and
settle.  Lawyers are not allowed in CA's small claims court, so an officer
of the company would have to take the time off work.  Of course, with all
the time that will likely elapse before you get the court's judgment, your
truck will likely need repainting for considerably more $$ ... might as well
as for the price of a respray up front.

Randall