Re: Re[2]: cedar siding problems + a ladder comment

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: cedar siding problems + a ladder comment
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:13:34 -0400
Yes, a high speed unit.  Mine was a B&D of about the same rpm or
slightly higher.

Make sure you use the sanding discs that are made for them.  They are
readily available.  You don't want to try to cut some out yourself from
sheets of sandpaper.  I used the coarsest grit ones, with a very
flexible backing pad.  Norton sanding discs I think, if you're
interested, though all are pretty good.

I have not used one of the much more expensive flap type sanding wheels
for this sort of work.  But, I did use one belonging to a friend doing
some sanding on his car.  It was far more aggressive and controllable
then the flat sanding wheels were.  Were I to sand my house again, I
would buy one to at try.

The biggest problem was the ability to gouge the wood in a split
second.  Don't remember the proper terms, but if you put your hand palm
down on the desk and lift your thumb up, simulating the sanding disc, I
wouldn't gouge moving in the direction the thumb is pointing, but I
sometimes would moving the other way.  If the disc was dull, I was also
more likely to gouge.  As well, when I was tired.

My house has a small footprint, but is two stories, with an attic and
basement, so there was a good bit of surface to be stripped.  Barring
all the interruptions, I could comfortably strip one side of the house
per weekend.

Another tool that you may want to consider, depending on your location
and height of the house, is the automatic leg levelers/extenders from
the ladder manufacturer that sells at Home Depot (forgot the ladder
company name).  I live on a hill, and was very tired of playing with
bricks and such to level the ladder.  For $100 I got what must be the
greatest ladder tool ever made.  They are a set of leg extensions that
mount onto the bottom of the ladder, with a shaft connecting them that
runs through the lowest rung.  One leg goes up, the other goes down.
Weight on them both locks them in place.   Lift the ladder up, set it
back down, and the legs are locked at the correct position, instantly.
This saved me a tremendous amount of time and made the job much safer
and easier.  I would, and do, change ladder position at a moments notice
now because there's no work involved with it any longer.  No longer do I
do those wild hanging off the side games because I didn't want to move
the ladder.

The information contained in this communication may be confidential, is
privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error, please re-send this
communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it
from your computer system. Thank you.