Re[4]: cedar siding problems + a ladder comment

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[4]: cedar siding problems + a ladder comment
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:37:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 12:13:34 -0400 Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us> wrote:
>  I used the coarsest grit ones, with a very
> flexible backing pad.  Norton sanding discs I think, if you're
> interested, though all are pretty good.

Norton being a local firm, and a reasonably well regarded one, i'll look
for them.

> I have not used one of the much more expensive flap type sanding wheels
> for this sort of work.  But, I did use one belonging to a friend doing
> some sanding on his car.  It was far more aggressive and controllable
> then the flat sanding wheels were.  Were I to sand my house again, I
> would buy one to at try.

have to see what the hardware stores carry..

> The biggest problem was the ability to gouge the wood in a split
> second.  Don't remember the proper terms, but if you put your hand palm
> down on the desk and lift your thumb up, simulating the sanding disc, I
> wouldn't gouge moving in the direction the thumb is pointing, but I
> sometimes would moving the other way.

umm, which hand?

> My house has a small footprint, but is two stories, with an attic and
> basement, so there was a good bit of surface to be stripped.  Barring
> all the interruptions, I could comfortably strip one side of the house
> per weekend.

there some parts of this house that are easier to reach than others.
fortunately, the sections that will require scaffolding were not painted,
only stained, so that will make them easier to deal with. as it is, i'll
need a taller ladder (my 20' ladder is sized for my old house, and a wee
bit short for this one.)

> Another tool that you may want to consider, depending on your location
> and height of the house, is the automatic leg levelers/extenders from
> the ladder manufacturer that sells at Home Depot (forgot the ladder
> company name).

i probably will want to look at that.

but right now, i need to go see if my wife has broken any more stuff. she
gets every other friday off, and already this morning she's broken the
riding mower and the weed wacker. i need to get her to stop taking days
off.

cheers,
  richard
--