Metal building style shop sizes/prices?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Metal building style shop sizes/prices?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:34:05 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

So I'm starting to think seriously about what it'll cost to build a metal
building style shop.  Stuff I need:

Insulated/heated, plumbing / wired, floor that'll work with lifts and
such, two story (enough headroom for lift, plus a 2nd floor you can stand
up in over one area for storage or possibly a small apartment).

My ideal size would be around 60x60 or so.  That's let me have everything
in there that I'd want indoors, plus have one wall have an "office" on the
ground floor and a reasonable apartment on the 2nd floor.

In addition, I've heard great things about direct floor heating (in-floor
radiant heat?) which seems to make sense from a "laying on the cold floor
in the winter" standpoint along with a "would prefer not to have a big fan
blow away my shielding gas" from a welding standpoint.

The main (?) thing I don't know at this point is even rough cost
estimates.  My "figure for the sake of conversation" is $50k for the
entire project, including the slab, building, wiring, plumbing, heating,
etc.  The only part of that I'm really willing to do myself would be the
wiring, so I'll also need that $50k to cover labor.

I also don't know how costs scale.  For instance, would a 30x30 building
be half as much all included?

Any pointers to where I can start learning about this stuff would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Mark